Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Blog Assignment #11

Geek Squad Baby
First Graders in Ms. Cassidy's Class & Skype with Ms. Cassidy
I think Ms. Cassidy’s approach was great. The video of her students really explained a lot. After watching the video and listening to the children made me appreciate technology more. Her students seemed so exited to share what they were doing in class. This video made me want to learn more about technology to bring it to my future classroom so my students will have that excitement as well.

Ms. Cassidy’s approach that I might would use in my classroom would probably be blogging and skype. I thought the kids blogging and commenting other students was great. That gets the students involved with other students not just in their class but at another school or even another state. I think blogging is a great opportunity. I also really liked Ms. Cassidy’s idea to use skype. Skype is a great tool. I thought it was so great that her students skyped a geologist. It’s great to think if your studying a certain subject with children that you can skype an expert and let the kids hear about it first hand. There would probably be obstacles when and if using technology in the classroom. But I would keep pushing forward and would not give up. If I give up on technology my students might do the same, and it’s too important for their future to give up so early.

The benefits that would come along with using Ms. Cassidy’s approach would be getting children ready for whatever comes next. Technology is a big deal today, and if teaching a child to blog is a step toward the future then do it! I think using technology in front of us is a great benefit towards the future. I’m not saying that I want the future to be all technology , but I think it would help future generations to already be one step ahead by using technology.

2 comments:

  1. Nicole,

    I agree that Ms. Cassidy's approach is wonderful, and she is definitely preparing students for the future. I also like the idea of blogging and skyping in the classroom. Not only are students communicating with people in their own classrooms and different states, but they can also talk to students from all over the world. They can see different students and experience their culture. They can also skype other classrooms and see each other face to face. I think this is way better than pen pals. Students get excited about doing these things, and I believe that when students want to do things in the classroom, they are truly going to grow and learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole,
    I also agree that blogging and utilizing Skype in the classroom will be two tools that kids could benefit from greatly. I certainly plan to integrate them into my lessons in the future. It is so important to connect kids to people outside their community and show them that they have access to the entire world with these tools. Mrs. Cassidy is an excellent role model for teachers who may be considering the use of technology in their classes for the first time. It is great to have a way to make your students excited and add new things to your classroom.
    Good post!

    ReplyDelete