Thursday, September 9, 2010

Additional Assignment #1

A.) Google Squared is very educational. You can find so much out about a country. If they don’t have what you need you can type the word such as “population” into the chart and it comes up. I found out a lot about the Philippines which is where my aunt and uncle have been, so it was neat to see all the different facts about it!

Populations looked up using Google Squared: United States- 298,213,000
Europe- 731,000,000
Philippines- 83,054,000

B.) WolframAlpha is also a great educational site. If you want to look up one certain country or other things you can get to it with just a few clicks! It tells you basic information, location, demographics, and a lot more. I will definitely use this from now on if I need to know something.

Populations looked up using WolframAlpha: Singapore- 3547809
Africa- 986,000,000

C.) I didn’t know about Google Squared before this assignment but I wish I had.

D.)I didn’t know about WolframAlpha before this assignment.

E.) My response to Did You Know is still the same. Dr. Strange didn’t really alter my thoughts. I just know that populations are crazy. I never guessed that the United States were so small! We’re big to others but most of the country’s we talk about regularly are way bigger.

F.) Statistics fascinate and scare me all at the same time. When I looked at all the numbers during this activity it was absolutely scary to think about the US being so small compared to India and China. At the same time, it really blew my mine to think about that many people in the world. That I’m just one tiny speck in this huge world. It was really neat to compare the statistics and I’m glad we had this activity. I will definitely be using this two websites from now on!

Pitcairn Islands map



~*~Food for thought was great! It is magical that a 6 year old can work a computer without any instructions and being completely illiterate about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment