Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Blog Assignment #2

did you know
1.) My reaction to Did You Know 3.0 by Karl Fisch was wow. I had no clue about all the incredible things that go on in seconds that most of us never know about. It was scary in a way to think of a computer being made to be a supercomputer. Knowing that an object is compatible to the human brain scares me. Technology is great but I think it is a little much to have a supercomputer.
When I watched the video and saw how the numbers of technology has changed and it was amazing! To know that hundreds of babies are being born in the very few minutes it took to watch the video is crazy. Also, you know, none of us really think of a life without things like google.com ,and it took a minute for me to realize there was a time without such things. Text messages are another one of the things we can’t live without ,and the number of texts that go out each day are insane! Life was much simpler before technology took over, but in some ways it is a very good thing and in others possibly not good.
2.) Mr. Winkle Wakes was a cute video on the change of the world. I can see after Mr. Winkle’s 100 year sleep he would be startled at all these changes. The computer probably would be a very scary thing if you had never seen or heard of it before like Mr. Winkle. All the workplaces and offices with these machines that print pictures and words would be overwhelming! Mr. Winkle will have to get used to all these changes.
I did really like how it showed that school stays the same. That is one of the comfort qualities of school that it never really changes. Classes may change or subjects but the roll of the student stays the same. But in a world of changing technology, Mr. Winkle will eventually have to except this new scary world. The sooner he does the easier it will be for him in this busy body universe.
3.) The Importance of Creativity video by Sir Ken Robinson was amazing. He is so right about creativity. Educators do push children to do better in academics rather than the arts. This is wrong when there are some children that will never be proficient in academics even if they try very hard, and some children won’t ever be proficient in the arts but parents and teachers need to consider this. They need to consider that their children could be smart in academics, creativity, or even both.
Sir Robinson was amazing and his points about creativity were outstanding. His speech really hit home with me because I love to dance. Dance is important like he said. We all have legs and arms so we can all dance. When he talked about children sometimes being diagnosed with things that didn’t even exist years ago it made me think about how true that is. People today see problems when if they opened their eyes they would see maybe their children aren’t meant to be the worlds next scientist, but maybe just maybe they were meant to be the next Broadway star or Picasso. Creativity needs to be looked at the same way academics are.
4.) Harness Your Students’ Digital Smarts was a great video. The kids in Georgia are very lucky to have Vicki Davis as a teacher. She not only teaches her students, she also lets them teach her as well. Davis seems to be very in touch with her teen students , and the students on the video seemed to be having fun learning about technology. Which ,in my opinion, is very good in this day and age.
The programs of technology are very tricky if you don’t have an instructor there to help. In my high school we had a computer class but it wasn’t recommended. After watching this video, I think students should have a mandatory class on the world of technology. Not only should it be basic for students to learn to type but they should learn how to work with the computer as well. This was a very good video and a very good website. If you haven’t watched it yet check it out!

3 comments:

  1. Hi I'm Kayla! You are my C4C person for the week. I completely agree with you about technology and supercomputers. I think technology is great, but in some ways I feel like we are advancing too fast way too soon. Some technologies only lead to trouble instead of simply being there for communicaton purposes. Supercomputers and flying cars, or whatever else may be coming about sooner than we think.....and I am not a fan! Sometimes I wish we could go back to the days of Andy Griffith in Mayberry and have a peaceful and calm lifestyle. Personally, I do not want my future children to be born in a world of technological relationships and not REAL personal relationships that actually take time and a true concern and love for other people.....oh good for you! I am a Christian too! That makes me happy to see that you have posted that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life before Google. BG? An interesting thought. And your high school? Why was technology class not recommended?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kayla, thanks for the comment!!
    Dr. Strange, I'm not really sure why at my high school the computer class wasn't recommended. In seventh or eighth grade we had to take a keyboarding class but that's all I have taken. In high school there was one computer class but it wasn't mandatory but it should be!

    ReplyDelete