Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Blog Assignment #6

Social-Networking


The Networked Student

This video was very real. Since EDM has started I have realized technology is taking over in a lot of ways. This video verifies that thought. It was interesting to see the different connections students can make with this type of learning. It seems as if this concept has already surfaced and it is beginning at full speed. Being a student in the 21st century won’t be easy but it will eventually become the norm.

The Networked Student was a very cute video and it did have a lot of good points toward becoming this type of student. Connection with classmates, professors, and others are very valuable tools for a students success. I like how it makes connections more accessible. Students also learn a lot of very important websites that they can use (most likely) forever. Delicious and Skype were on the video and I have to say I love those two sites!

“Why does the networked student need a teacher?” well that is simple, to help them learn. Teachers will hopefully always be needed but for now they are still needed for the networked student. The video said the teacher is a learning architect, modeler, connected learning incubator, network, Sherpa, learning concierge, synthesizer, and a change agent. So with that, teachers are very much still needed for many things. That makes me feel better about going to school to be a teacher!

A 7th Grader's Personal Learning Environment (or PLN)

I really like that this student is so excited about her PLE. I need to take some of her enthusiasm to my PLN. Her PLE was very organized and interesting. I was trying to read all her little boxes and she had some things I didn’t know you could put on there. My PLN is a work in progress. Most of my boxes are filled but not all of them yet (I’m still learning!). She talked about a lot of things that I think would be fun to do like the poster she did on jellyfish. Overall, it was a very well done PLE.

The Machine is Changing Us

Dr. Wesch is completely right when he makes the comment school is not about the students. He showed a picture of an American Idol audition and a classroom and there is a big similarity. School sometimes does make you feel disconnected. I sometimes feel that way in my larger classes. You don’t get to know the teacher and you feel like just a face in the crowd. He is also right that you have to create your own identity because if you don’t you won’t have one. He had many good points about the mediums through which we communicate. While using these mediums we don’t necessarily know who we are talking to. He says it does bring up self awareness which I think could be true. The videos were so funny on this topic. These videos do give us a new understanding on who we are. The unmasked hero was very good it was very sweet. It was interesting as well. The hand videos were very neat and powerful.

My life follows his comments by the comment made about creating your own identity. At school or in college you have to make your own identity or teachers will never know you. I tend to stay in the back and be a good student, but I do wish sometimes I would let my teachers get to know me. As for the future of my teaching career all the things he stated will most likely have a huge impact on it.

2 comments:

  1. Nice post. I agree with you on several points that you made. Connection do help students and others succeed in whatever they're trying to do. Also, I agree that teachers are still needed. They are the ones that help us get through our difficult times in school. I love your page as well nice set up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really glad that you are using Delicious. It is very need to see how these tools can change our leaning. Try to look for blogs to add to you PLN.

    Good post Nicole!


    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete