Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Blog Assignment #10

Halloween Party at Dance
  

An Open Letter to Educator's by Morgan Bayda
Morgan Bayda wrote a post on her blog titled “An Open Letter to Educator’s. She opens with talking about a video by Dan Brown where he explains why he dropped out of school. His reason was that schooling was interfering with his education. The video really spoke to her so she posted it in this post. Bayda goes along by saying she too feels cheated by her university. Then she says that she learned so much in her Ed Computers class on collaborating with others. She liked Dan Brown’s video, but she wouldn’t have dropped out of school. Bayda is not afraid of change and is willing to embrace new ways of learning.

My experiences are much like Morgan Bayda’s experiences. I too have set in a lecture hall and have a hard time staying focused. It doesn’t do anything for us for the teachers just to recap what was in the book. If that’s all they’re going to do they should just talk and we shouldn’t have to read chapter after chapter. But wait, if they do just lecture we still have to buy the books right? Right. That always happens to me. Bayda mentions that a lot of professors don’t encourage you to speak to any one, and in my experience as well this is true. Professors don’t push for us to get involved with each other, and for shy people like me it’s hard to get involved if we’re not encouraged to. EDM like Bayda’s Ed computers class is a great class that encourages us to get involved with our classmates. We not only get to use our ideas but we get to collaborate with other’s ideas and make a GREAT idea! EDM teaches us how to collaborate when not in person as well. This consist of a number of great websites like Twitter for example. Our PLN’s also are great to keep the information we need at a click of a button.

The attitude of Bayda is a lot like mine as well. The attitude of feeling cheated by a university is mutual between us. When we spend long ours in a classroom my enthusiasm normally turns to boredom when we listen to the same thing over and over again. My grateful attitude for gmail, my PLN, and other internet collaborative sources are just like hers. Over all I think my attitude towards being educated is a lot like Morgan Bayda.

Don't Let Them Take Pencils Home
I enjoyed reading this post. It was very informative and insightful. I think that if a child wants to play a game with a pencil at least they are collaborating and learning with others! Some teachers are just so negative if they don’t agree with something. I thought this post was great and I will be subscribing to it!

Two Questions That Can Change Your Life
I loved this video, absolutely LOVED it. I have never thought about summing what I want to do in one sentence ,but I think it is a wonderful thing to do.

 I am trying to become a great educator to make a difference in my student’s lives, so they can one day make a difference in the world.

3 comments:

  1. Nicole, I really enjoyed reading your post. I completely agree with your assessment of Bayda's post. I too feel like I have been cheated out of time and money, both of which are precious to me. I do not consider myself shy, but I don't try to collaborate with my fellow students if the instructor doesn't encourage it either. I think that's why I like EDM so much. I like being able to work with my peers and Dr. Strange practically makes that a requirement in this class. This is just a suggestion, but Krysten Malone and I are going to be doing our final project together and if you would like you are welcome to join our group. You may already have a group picked out for this and that's fine. If you are interested though, you can reach me through my blog, or my gmail which is caitielord@gmail.com
    Keep up the good work on your blog though, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks girl for asking me to be in your group, but I am already in one. It was very nice of you to ask though! Also thanks for the comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Outstanding post Nicole!

    I appreciate your comments about the Bayda post. I think it is important for us as teachers and students to realize that we are all a part of a change in education and we must take the good with the bad. Something as big as education can not change overnight but it can and is in the process of changing. EDM 310 is a great example. This is only the third semester that this format has been attempted and it is getting better all the time. Just a little over two years ago I started with EDM 310 and it was very much still a traditional course. We have come a long way. So, taking a, "The glass is half full," position, I believe that this is a great time to be an educator as we are on the verge of an educational revolution the likes of which has never been seen before. I for one am delighted.

    Great Pic. Keep up the good work. SS

    ReplyDelete